Wednesday 25 February 2015

February Art Bead Scene Challenge


Amapolas, 1913
Illustration published in "News of Spring and Other Nature Studies"
By Edward Julius Detmold

In case you hadn't guessed, today’s post is all about this month’s Art Bead Scene Challenge.  This beautiful watercolour illustration has filled me with a sense of anticipation for new life after very a long and cold winter.  You have no idea how happy I was earlier this week when I noticed my crocuses had started to flower!  The movement within the image doesn’t just suggest life, it’s screaming it, and yet the tranquility of the colour scheme gives me a peaceful calming sensation.  None the less, I find myself sitting here willing summer to come quickly!!  Having read the insightful history of Edward Julius Detmold, it’s almost impossible to fathom how someone with such insight and capacity to create such beauty could have been such a tormented soul on the inside.  It’s truly tragic!!

This has been an exciting month for me because I have finally taken the plunge to start selling some of my creations.  I’ve been doing the Art Bead Scene challenges for a number of years now, but this is the first time I’ve entered the ‘Bead Makers’ section, so naturally I’m excited about this too.   I chose to focus on the butterfly and aimed to express the movement and tranquility I felt when looking at the illustration.  My two entries (pictured below) are both made out of ceramic clay and are both are available in my Etsy shop.  Thanks for Reading. xx




4 comments: